It is with great pleasure that I announce the first alpha version of OpenLP 2.0! We've been working on this for a long time (since September 2008 if I have my dates correct) and decided to give everyone a taste of what we've been working on.
As we've mentioned before, OpenLP 2.0 is cross-platform. This means that it runs on Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, and even FreeBSD! However, since OpenLP 2.0 is a complete rewrite, and this particular release is an Alpha, there are a few things to be aware of...
From our FAQ: What is an alpha release?
An alpha release is a very early incomplete release. It has missing features, and bugs and is likely to crash or do unexpected things. It is intended for those who aren't scared of program crashes and want to help test the software. It is also for those who are interested in seeing the new features.
What new features will I find in 2.0?
Since 2.0 is a rewrite from the ground up, you won't find a great deal of new features since initially we want to ensure all the v1.2 features are included. However the developers have managed to sneak a few in. Take a look at the Complete list.
Is there a manual or any documentation for 2.0?
No, we don't have any documentation yet. If you need help, just ask in the forums or use the live chat feature. If you would like to help write some documentation, please let us know - we are always happy for new volunteers to join the team and contribute to the project.
I've started OpenLP, but I can't see the songs or bibles section in the Media Manager
On some systems, the media manager plugins default to a deactivated state. This is something we will address in a future release, but for now you will need to turn them on manually.
It is recommended that you read the rest of the Frequently Asked Questions before using OpenLP 2.0 Alpha 1, as it contains some very important information.
This is the part you've been waiting for!
- Windows XP/Vista/7:
- OpenLP-1.9.1-setup.exe (14.4MB)
- Mac OS X (10.4 and higher):
- OpenLP-1.9.1.dmg (35.2MB)
- Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu (Karmic/9.10 and higher):
- We have a PPA (Personal Package Archive) which you can add to your package management software to download and keep up to date.
- We are busy working on getting an OpenLP 2.0 package for Fedora.
- We are busy working on getting OpenLP 2.0 into the ports system.
- Source Code:
- OpenLP-1.9.1.tar.gz (1.9MB)
Do you like OpenLP?
If you really like OpenLP, look at the following ways of helping promote OpenLP and also keeping track of the development of version 2.0:
- Are you on facebook? Then become a fan and "Like" the posts.
- Are you on twitter? Then follow openlp, and retweet the announcements.
- Give us a thumbs up on the SourceForge project page.
- If you have a website or blog, then link to our site http://openlp.org/ with a few words saying what the software is and why you like it.
- Add a placemark on our Worldwide Usage map, so others in your locality can see someone close by is using it.
- If you are a member of any Christian Forums or websites, and their rules allow it, then perhaps review the software or ask others to review it.